Sunday, July 13, 2008

a thing called poetry

Into the realm of poetry we go.  Wallace Stevens is a more difficult way to initially throw yourself into it, but given how we don't really have a choice in the matter I've attempted to make the best of things.  He is said to be the master of the poem, so despite my miserable efforts to make sense of what he writes, I do learn.  It's safe to say that poetry is a more difficult type of literature to appreciate in that the message it delivers is not so concise as say, a novel. This way of using less words though (or more so using them differently), has lead to a powerful form of truth telling.  Because the point of poetry is not to go on and on forever using pages to describe one small thing, a meaning is gotten across (sometimes really more of just a vague idea) with a quick and distinct impact.  And like it was mentioned in class, even if we don't know the intentions of the poet, there is still something gained from our exposure to it.  And either way, we are never really "clueless" as Sexson says.  We always have some hints as to what is being suggested, even in a Stevens poem.  Profound revelations can be made through poetry, or just a heartfelt reminder.  And I like to think that I myself am coming to appreciate it in a new light. 

At the coffee shop I work at we have something called "poetry night" every other Wednesday, which just happens to be one of my regular shifts.  It's not something I would likely go to on my own, so just being in that environment for the past couple of months has sort of forced me to take it into consideration.  Even after the first time we had poetry night, I was actually surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  There is a sign up sheet open for anyone who wants to read their poetry, and occasionally you'll hear something from other more distinguished authors too.  It really is great to see these people go in front of an audience and express themselves with a poem.  What I find it especially goes at are the deep human truths, things the author considers important.  People seem to find a sense of clarity within their poetry- a way to put out in the open bottled up feelings, ideas concerning the ways of the world, and so on.  Like with most forms of literature, poetry can exemplify how people are very much alike in what we experience internally and otherwise.  I find it's a way of connecting people.  And although I will probably never put my name on the list for poetry night, I can certainly attest to getting quite a bit out of the overall experience. 

*assignments etc. to keep in mind:

Stevens poem "presentation" 
write your own sonnet
found poem creation
test on Friday (covering what we've gone over in class, & the readings)

No comments: